Job Title: Digital Picture Editor
Department: Digital Media Group
Reporting To: Channel Manager - VOD
Purpose of the role:
The Digital Picture Editor is responsible for the day-to-day management of images across all live My5 / Demand 5 platforms, and third party platforms (affiliate platforms / websites); as well as co-ordinating images for My5 provided by partner channels.
The objective of this role is to ensure the timely delivery of high quality images and some bespoke artwork to support programmes from across the portfolio, with the aim of driving as many viewers as possible to discover and watch programmes on My5 / Demand 5.
Reporting to the Channel Manager - VOD, the Digital Picture Editor plays a key role in the Digital Content Team, and will be integral to the Video on Demand (VOD) workflow for delivering programmes to platforms. They need to work closely with the VOD Content Executives and Digital Editorial Teams to support programmes throughout their licence period, special events and features. They will assist the Product and Solutions teams within DMG, supplying images for digital projects and launches or new My5 services.
They will also be required to work collaboratively with teams across the rest of the business including Press, Marketing and Programming to ensure that the image output across digital media is consistent with the programme treatment.
- Ensuring high quality, impactful images are delivered to our owned and operated (O&O) and affiliate VOD platforms in a timely and compliant manner in line with the schedules. This includes:
- Co-ordinating and sourcing show and episodic images from producers and studios through photo research
- Editing, cropping, resizing and manipulating images to fit the platform specifications to enable viewers to find and discover programmes quickly and efficiently
- Uploading / delivering images on time and managing any communications for images effectively
- Managing the image archive, including transferring, re-naming and backing up images
- Managing the creation and delivery of marketing images for the VOD platforms and websites on a monthly basis, to help market the programmes on My5.
- Providing images and title treatments/artwork for the channel portfolio to support programmes and help traffic driving initiatives across the third party platforms/affiliates.
- Supplying images or logos for new projects, My5 platform feature improvements or channel launches, including mock-ups and new image sizes.
- Keeping up to date with platform requirements and best practice to ensure our images evolve to meet the needs of the project, platform and affiliates.
Being the main point of contact for show and episodic images, and artwork, within the department liaising with the Creative, Press and Marketing teams, and external partners or suppliers
Experience & Knowledge:
A picture editor with demonstrable experience in photo research, image manipulation, artwork creation and photo retouching. You must have a proven track record in a related role within a broadcaster or experience of working on a large entertainment website.
Understanding what images will encourage users to click to discover more, being up to speed with photographic trends, possessing a good contacts book, and strong negotiating and organisational skills are all a must.
A keen interest in the programmes across Channel 5, Spike, 5USA, 5STAR, Paramount and My5.
The core skills required:
- Degree in design, media studies or related field.
- Demonstrable experience in photo research, image editing and photo retouching preferably within an entertainment / media environment.
- Proven experience with Adobe PhotoShop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Skill, precision and judgment to ensure that all image materials created meet Channel 5’s editorial standards.
- Experience of graphic design and / or web design.
- Experience of digital content production and content management systems.
- A strong team player, with the ability to work cross-functionally and collaboratively with editors, producers, programming, press and marketing teams.
- A highly organised person, with the ability to handle multiple tasks, manage prioritisation and an ability to work to daily deadlines.
- Self-sufficient, tech-savvy and a quick learner.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to influence others, internally and externally.
- Demonstrable experience of working with third-party content suppliers to manage image deliveries.
- A strong commitment to quality and attention to detail.
- An ambassador for VOD to the wider organisation.
At Viacom, we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work.
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. This spec summaries the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform.
Our Recruitment Privacy Notice for Viacom entities in the EEA and Switzerland is available - https://www.viacom.com/recruitment-privacy-notice-eea-switzerland