Job Title: Vice President, Head of Content Legal & Compliance
This role is to advise, manage and organise the legal and regulatory compliance of Viacom’s UK content across Channel 5, MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon; including broadcast, online, and marketing output. The successful candidate will be responsible for the disposal of any dispute, litigation or regulatory investigation concerning any aspect of Viacom’s UK content, as well as managing and leading Viacom’s UK Content Lawyers, Advisors, and Compliance personnel.
- To have responsibility for the functioning and provision of appropriate programme legal and compliance advice as applied across all of Viacom’s UK content.
- Liaising with and where appropriate providing practical guidance and input to the Content Legal and Compliance team, and monitoring workload and allocating new projects as necessary.
- Responsibility for recommending strategy, policy, process and best practice in relation to regulatory and legal programme compliance, as well as implementation of the same (subject to approval)
- Escalation of high-profile, business-critical or high-risk decisions for discussion with the UKNEE General Counsel.
- Brief senior management and work with press and PR teams on any high profile issues or potential breaches and take action to minimise risk
- Analysis of the business’ requirements for training and provision of such training to internal staff and external suppliers on legal and compliance issues affecting programme content and ensure that staff at all levels of the company remain up to date with relevant changes in the law and regulatory codes of practice through training and development
- Directly advise and work closely with commissioning editors and other executives on all aspects of the law and regulation as it relates to programming, online, In-House production (ie Elephant House Productions), and marketing output to ensure compliance with the law and regulatory codes
- Provide programme content legal advice, pre- and post-broadcast/publication, to content producers and advise on, assess, and manage risk arising from content legal and regulatory issues; and to review and agree pre-filming/production compliance protocols with producers, where necessary and/or desirable
- Attend recordings and live programmes from time to time and provide immediate advice and guidance on any legal, compliance and editorial policy issues
- Handling investigations into programme and advertising content issues pre- and post-broadcast and drafting responses to regulatory investigations, and to assist with responses to programme contributor and viewer complaints
- Manage pre- and post-broadcast/publication litigation where necessary
- Represent Channel 5’s interests on appropriate industry bodies, initiatives, or consultations
- Co-ordinate and draft any legal representations required to consultations affecting the television industry or proposed changes to the law or regulation
- Manage, maintain and develop the relationship with Ofcom for Viacom, as it relates to the Ofcom Broadcasting Code
- Work collaboratively with cross functional teams to achieve business objectives
- Drive best practice and thought leadership across the Business and Legal Affairs function
- Lead and develop team members. Attract and develop the best diverse talent and help to create the best possible workplace experience for them
You will be:
- Highly qualified/experienced in the management of lawyers
- Experience of escalating high-profile, business-critical or high-risk issues to Head of Department/senior management
- In-depth understanding and detailed practical experience of media law and regulation, particularly as it applies to broadcast television and online content
- Understanding and practical experience of advising producers and/or Commissioners on the key areas of relevant law including defamation, contempt of court, confidence, privacy, data protection, protection of sources, copyright, official secrets, human rights, prize competitions, advertising, and issues around user generated content
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of advising on the Ofcom Broadcasting Code, PSA Code, and BCAP, and CAP codes of practice
- Experience of undertaking the defence of programmes in any regulatory investigation and of civil litigation and dealing with legal actions in respect of media related cases
- The ability to provide accurate and consistent advice to find creative solutions to compliance issues, while balancing competing factors, often under pressure and under time constraints and working to strict deadlines.
- Experience of successfully leading, managing and developing legal teams
At Viacom, we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work.
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. THIS FORM SUMMARISES THE MAIN ASPECTS OF THE JOB BUT DOES NOT COVER ALL THE DUTIES THAT THE JOB HOLDER MAY HAVE TO PERFORM.
“Our Recruitment Privacy Notice for Viacom entities in the EEA and Switzerland is available here.”