Job Title: Senior Development Producer
Department: Elephant House Studios
Reporting To: Head of Development, Elephant House Studios
Location: Hawley Crescent, London
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Elephant House Studios (EHS) currently produces nearly 125 hours of television each year for Channel 5, MTV, Paramount, Comedy Central and Viacom. We’ve won a BAFTA and a Venice TV Festival Award for our output, and last year we won our first UK Best Production Company Award. We work in a range of genres including all types of Factual programming, Comedy, Light Entertainment and Reality.
We also pitch to the wider UK market, building relationships with and creating ideas for all major broadcasters. We’re looking further afield now, and we are securing relationships with partners in the USA, EMEA and elsewhere. We have to date invested in one independent production company (Uplands TV) and plan further similar deals, providing management and operational support including finance and legal.
With all this in mind, we are looking to hire an experienced Senior Development Producer to create and successfully pitch formats in the key genres in which we operate – mainly factual, factual entertainment, entertainment and reality.
You will help to grow the slate significantly, originating, working up and pitching new programme ideas, series and specials both to the Viacom Channels and wider television market.
You will also work closely with the existing Development team to further develop ideas that are currently on the slate.
· Working alongside the Head of Development to originate and develop series and specials tailored to the requirements of each Broadcaster
· Thorough research from initial idea to writing full pitch documents to pitch to Commissioning Editors and Channel Controllers
· Building and maintaining strong working relationships with Commissioning Editors and Channel Controllers at Channel 5, MTV, Comedy Central, and the wider UK and foreign market
· Identifying and working with new on screen talent, and developing relationships with big name stars
· Creating hit formats which can be sold internationally and which have the opportunity for commercial exploitation
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE:
· Significant experience working as a Development Executive and/or Senior Development Exec in the television industry, across a broad range of programmes and series within the Entertainment and Reality genres, on a variety of budgets for different broadcasters
· Creative and dynamic team player, full of ideas with a real handle on what works for the different channels and their target demographics
· A proven hit rate with commissioned ideas for a range of channels
· A strong and preferably proven working knowledge of the demands and aspirations of Channel 5 and Viacom, both in the UK and internationally
· A wide range of contacts at key broadcasters in the UK
· Experience of helping to develop large-scale formats, including (if possible) both location-based reality series, and studio-based entertainment shows
· The ability to identify and attract great people to work in our Development team, then helping them create ideas and formats which meet the requirements of the broadcasters
· Strong relationships with, and a good working knowledge of, on-screen talent and their agents, so that we can develop and grow more brands with relevant talent attached
· A proven ability to work across multiple projects simultaneously
· A knowledge of international markets, helping us ensure that the programmes we make are sellable and lend themselves to commercial exploitation
At Viacom, we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work.
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. THIS FORM SUMMARISES THE MAIN ASPECTS OF THE JOB BUT DOES NOT COVER ALL THE DUTIES THAT THE JOB HOLDER MAY HAVE TO PERFORM.
Our Recruitment Privacy Notice for Viacom entities in the EEA and Switzerland is available here: https://www.viacom.com/recruitment-privacy-notice-eea-switzerland