Vacancy Legal Counsel
Division Nickelodeon Legal
Location Hawley Crescent
Reports to Senior Legal Counsel
Nickelodeon UK is a joint venture between Viacom and Sky and broadcasts dedicated award-winning entertainment channels for kids, including Nickelodeon, Nick Toons, Nick Jr. and Nick Jr. too. The company has built a diverse business by putting kids first in everything it does and includes critically acclaimed and much loved television programming and production in the UK and around the world, including SpongeBob SquarePants, The Thundermans, Henry Danger, Paw Patrol, Shimmer & Shine and The Loud House.
This role handles business and legal affairs matters across the Nickelodeon UK business.
Primary duties include:
- Negotiating, drafting and advising on:
- television production and live event agreements, including talent, crew, venue and event production agreements
- channel carriage and VOD distribution agreements with affiliate partners;
- content acquisition, commissioning, development and licensing agreements for linear and non-linear;
- tv & social media content production, including talent, influencer, crew and location agreements;
- commercial partnerships, revenue share arrangements, advertising, media buying and barter agreements;
- digital, marketing, press and other general commercial services agreements;
- voiceover and dubbing/localisation agreements;
- consumer competitions – including T&Cs and data protection / privacy issues.
- Conducting legal review of on-air and off-channel content, including marketing communications;
- Managing rights requests, using and updating the internal rights database and advising on rights issues;
- Researching and advising on risk and regulatory matters across a wide variety of topics, including intellectual property, data protection, digital media, on and off-channel marketing, sponsorship, scheduling and promotions; and
- Advising on the application of the regulatory codes including the Ofcom Broadcasting Code, the CAP Code and the BCAP Code in the context of children’s television.; and
- Providing support regarding music rights and advising on performance releases, composer agreements, music publishing clearance and collective licensing arrangements.
Further duties include:
- Supporting and advising the company secretarial function and drafting amendments to documentation where required;
- Advising on intercompany agreements, related party agreements and corporate matters
- Developing relationships with the US office and third parties to facilitate rights acquisition and clearances; coordinating with various departments (e.g. Music & Media Licensing, Sky Music Team, Commercial, Finance, Marketing and Promos) to implement policies and procedures;
- Organising in-house training sessions for Nickelodeon staff;
- Providing expert general legal advice to Nickelodeon UK and supporting other members of the legal team; and
- Working closely with all levels of the company including: MD, VP of Finance, Head of Production, Heads of Departments, Production Managers, Marketing and Press.
The Ideal Candidate
- LLB or Degree + GDL
- Qualified as solicitor or barrister (4 years PQE+)
- Private practice trained and in-house experience in the media/ entertainment/ broadcast industries
- Commercial media specialisation/expertise with a strong knowledge of intellectual property law
- Experienced in channel carriage, production and programming agreements and the regulatory regime applicable to children’s television
- Keen interest in the children’s television broadcast industry
- Good natured, easy-going and a sense of humour
- Excellent drafting skills, including from scratch and the ability to effectively review existing templates
- Strong commercial business sense and negotiating prowess
- Comfortable communicating legal concepts to a non-legal audience
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions where appropriate and be pragmatic when resolving legal issues, whilst appreciating the need for escalation where desirable
- Self-starter and self-supporting
- Excellent organisational and project management skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work under pressure and keep to deadlines
- Takes ownership and responsibility for work
- Methodical and meticulous
WHAT ARE OUR BENEFITS
- Private Medical Insurance: You will be eligible for our full Private Medial Cover (From 3 months)
- Season Ticket Loan: We’ll pay for your season travel card up front and you can pay us back across the year
- TV Package Discount: If you subscribe for the likes of Sky and Virgin Media, we’ll give £20 off your bill
- Pension Scheme: You will be eligible for our Pension Scheme from day one, as long as you are contributing to this, we’ll top this up with a voluntary contribution from us
- Discounted Gym Membership: We offer discounts to a number of Gyms
- Discounts at Local Shops and Restaurants: Whether you need a new pair of shoes or just want something tasty for lunch, we partner with a number of local businesses to offer us a discounted rate.
- Access to Reward Gateway: With heaps of discounts on everyday shops, restaurants and household suppliers
- Happy to talk flexible working!
WHAT ARE OUR VALUES
Our values, and their related behaviours, guide how we show up to work each day and help ensure that we all treat each other with respect. We want these to feel relevant to all of our employees and all parts of the business, as we believe that when these behaviours are achieved, we are the best we can be. The three values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
- Creativity: Push beyond the expected
- Passion: Stand up for what you believe in
- Risk-Taking: Take smart choices
- Inclusion: Embrace diverse perspectives
- Collaboration: Work together as one team
- Innovation: Use insights to drive the business
- Trust: Assume best intentions
- Transparency: Communicate clearly and openly
- Accountability: Deliver, and own the outcome
At Viacom, we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work.
Our recruitment Privacy Notice for Viacom entities in the EEA and Switzerland is available here.